Over 1,400 illegal huts in Ganpat Patil Nagar razed
- Arunachal: Nabam Tuki resigns paving way for selection of Pema Khandu as CLP leader
- Turkish military coup bid crumbles, 90 killed in violence, Erdogan returns
- Who is Fethullah Gulen: The cleric being blamed for Turkey coup attempt
- Man responsible for Nice carnage was an angry loner, had little interest in Islam
- State killing its own citizens self-injury of worst sort: IAS topper from Kashmir
BMC demolished Thursday over 1,400 illegal shanties at Ganpat Patil Nagar in Dahisar (West).
To dissuade dwellers from rebuilding huts, the civic body will uneven the ground.
"We will take JCBs and dumpers to the slum Friday to ensure shanties do not come up again," said Santosh Kumar Dhonde, assistant municipal commissioner of R-North Ward.
The demolition drive, which saw strong opposition from Congress corporators and slum-dwellers, was taken up to remove unauthorised shanties within 50 metres of mangroves.
Ganpat Patil Nagar on New Link Road in Borivali is in no-development coastal regulation zone and has about 10,000 illegal huts where 40,000 people stay.
"Shanties to be demolished had been marked the previous day, but residents did not agree to the marking. They claimed many marked shanties existed before 1995 and were legal. The demolition began at noon after eligibility was confirmed," a senior civic official.Congress corporator Shivanand Shetty said, "The residents were not informed of the demolition and the markings were not correct. These people have been living here for years, they cannot be thrown away like this."
- Modi administration has everything going for it except the belief that it is capable of taking the moral high ground
- Childcare is a women’s issue. Could we hope to make it gender neutral?
- Islam might be blamed for the carnage in Nice
- It is a religious vision that seems to see itself as an agent of an apocalypse of some kind
- Game Of Deception
- ‘Strangeness’ of SC Arunachal verdict lies in its upholding of constitutional morality