Over 2,800 students opt for dollar a month transport facility
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
More than 2,800 students from government schools have opted for the transport facilities being provided by the UT Education Department at the rate of one dollar per month (around Rs 60).
The department had submitted the requirement of buses to the Chandigarh Transport Undertaking (CTU) for the session 2013-14 before the summer vacation along with list of students exercised the option.
Initially, only 10 buses were plying in the morning session — 7 to 8 am. Now the number of buses has been increased to 40 buses. The department hoped that, with the admission session is over, more and more students would exercise the option. "The department has sent directions to government schools across the city, wanting them to make their students exercise the option. The department is expecting that the number of students will increase to 8000. On receipt of the exact data from the school's authorities, the department will tie up with the CTU for more buses", said the officials of the education department.