Over 5 lakh pilgrims take holy dip
- India's future cannot exist without the future of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Will appoint nodal officer to help Kashmiri youth across the country: Rajnath Singh in Srinagar
- Dec 16 Delhi gangrape case: Convict attempts suicide inside Tihar Jail, rushed to hospital
- Earthquake in Italy kills 247, toll may rise as rescuers continue hunt for survivors
- Rahul Gandhi twisting statement, must show generosity, apologise: RSS
More than 5,00,000 pilgrims took holy dip at the Gangasagar Island on Markar Sankranti today.
From early morning the mood picked up with the chanting of slogans like "Sab tirtha bar bar, Gangasagar ek bar". There was no untoward incident during the Gangasagar Mela, said N S Nigam, District Magistrate of South 24-Parganas.
The five lakh pilgrims had come to the Sagar Islands in the last two days to take the holy dip and the district administration bore the expense of Rs 30 crore to hold the mela.
According to the district administration, more the 8,000 security personnel had been deployed to maintain law order during the mela. Coastal guard maintained constant watch on the sea.
Meanwhile, traffic congestion in the island was a normal feature during mela. This year the district administration had opened a second bus stand near the site, said Nigam. Arrangement of sanitation is an important task for the mela. This year sanitation arrangement was set up as per international level, he said.
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully