Over 5 lakh pilgrims take holy dip
- Malaysian airlines might have disintegrated mid-air
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
More than 5,00,000 pilgrims took holy dip at the Gangasagar Island on Markar Sankranti today.
From early morning the mood picked up with the chanting of slogans like "Sab tirtha bar bar, Gangasagar ek bar". There was no untoward incident during the Gangasagar Mela, said N S Nigam, District Magistrate of South 24-Parganas.
The five lakh pilgrims had come to the Sagar Islands in the last two days to take the holy dip and the district administration bore the expense of Rs 30 crore to hold the mela.
According to the district administration, more the 8,000 security personnel had been deployed to maintain law order during the mela. Coastal guard maintained constant watch on the sea.
Meanwhile, traffic congestion in the island was a normal feature during mela. This year the district administration had opened a second bus stand near the site, said Nigam. Arrangement of sanitation is an important task for the mela. This year sanitation arrangement was set up as per international level, he said.
The administration - with the help of various NGOs - also administered 'Pulse Polio' drops to some children. As many pilgrims come for the mela with their children, the health department of district took up the plan, said Nigam.