Over 5 lakh pilgrims take holy dip
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
More than 5,00,000 pilgrims took holy dip at the Gangasagar Island on Markar Sankranti today.
From early morning the mood picked up with the chanting of slogans like "Sab tirtha bar bar, Gangasagar ek bar". There was no untoward incident during the Gangasagar Mela, said N S Nigam, District Magistrate of South 24-Parganas.
The five lakh pilgrims had come to the Sagar Islands in the last two days to take the holy dip and the district administration bore the expense of Rs 30 crore to hold the mela.
According to the district administration, more the 8,000 security personnel had been deployed to maintain law order during the mela. Coastal guard maintained constant watch on the sea.
Meanwhile, traffic congestion in the island was a normal feature during mela. This year the district administration had opened a second bus stand near the site, said Nigam. Arrangement of sanitation is an important task for the mela. This year sanitation arrangement was set up as per international level, he said.
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment