Overseas investors pump about $21 bn in Indian stocks in 2012 so far
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Overseas investors have made net investments of USD 1.2 billion in the Indian equity market during the first week of the month, taking the total for 2012 so far to a whopping USD 21 billion.
During December 3-7, Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) were gross buyers of shares worth Rs 20,314 crore and sellers of equities worth Rs 14,167 crore -- translating into a net inflow of Rs 6,147 crore (USD 1.2 billion), according to Sebi data.
This takes the net investment by FIIs to USD 20.9 billion so far in 2012, making it as the second highest net inflow by in a single calendar year since their entry into Indian
capital markets in 1992.
In 2010, overseas investors had made net investments of about USD 29 billion (about Rs 1,33,266 crore).
FIIs, a major participant in Indian stock market, had pulled out USD 358 million (Rs 2,714 crore) in 2011.
Foreign investors have been betting big on Indian equities in the last few months on the back of a slew of economic reforms initiated by government, pushing up BSE
benchmark Sensex by about 25 per cent in 2012 calendar year. "FIIs continued with the positive bias towards Indian equities as the lack of investment options make the country an attractive destination. India is still considered as a better market compared to other markets in Asia or emerging markets," Sudip Bandyopadhyay, MD & CEO, Destimoney Securities said.
Kishor Ostwal CMD at CNI Research said, "India has had an excellent year so far after a disastrous 2011. I think Indian valuations look cheaper compared to historical average."
However, overseas investors have pulled out a net 2,129 crore (USD 390 million)in the debt market so far this month. In 2012, so far, FIIs total investment into the debt market stood at Rs 31,155 crore (USD 5.93 billion).
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress