Overseas investors pump about $21 bn in Indian stocks in 2012 so far
- Elections 2014 LIVE: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra continues to target Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR strike at regular intervals against CSK in IPL 7
Overseas investors have made net investments of USD 1.2 billion in the Indian equity market during the first week of the month, taking the total for 2012 so far to a whopping USD 21 billion.
During December 3-7, Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) were gross buyers of shares worth Rs 20,314 crore and sellers of equities worth Rs 14,167 crore -- translating into a net inflow of Rs 6,147 crore (USD 1.2 billion), according to Sebi data.
This takes the net investment by FIIs to USD 20.9 billion so far in 2012, making it as the second highest net inflow by in a single calendar year since their entry into Indian
capital markets in 1992.
In 2010, overseas investors had made net investments of about USD 29 billion (about Rs 1,33,266 crore).
FIIs, a major participant in Indian stock market, had pulled out USD 358 million (Rs 2,714 crore) in 2011.
Foreign investors have been betting big on Indian equities in the last few months on the back of a slew of economic reforms initiated by government, pushing up BSE
benchmark Sensex by about 25 per cent in 2012 calendar year. "FIIs continued with the positive bias towards Indian equities as the lack of investment options make the country an attractive destination. India is still considered as a better market compared to other markets in Asia or emerging markets," Sudip Bandyopadhyay, MD & CEO, Destimoney Securities said.
Kishor Ostwal CMD at CNI Research said, "India has had an excellent year so far after a disastrous 2011. I think Indian valuations look cheaper compared to historical average."
However, overseas investors have pulled out a net 2,129 crore (USD 390 million)in the debt market so far this month. In 2012, so far, FIIs total investment into the debt market stood at Rs 31,155 crore (USD 5.93 billion).
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'