Owner of batmaker BDM abducted in Meerut, rescued within 24 hours
- BJP's election manifesto is for, by and of Narendra Modi
- Malaysian Airlines MH370 hunt: Search for plane to move deep into Indian Ocean
- Odisha: BJP gains on Modi name, Naveen may slip in his toughest fight
- First phase of Lok Sabha elections: High turnout in two N-E states
- Tonight in Delhi, an evening of style and class with Pietersen
Sudhir Mahajan, the managing director of leading sports goods manufacturing company BD Mahajan and Sons Pvt Ltd, was abducted along with his driver Ravinder Tuesday night while returning from office, just 5 km from his residence in Defence Colony here. In less than 24 hours, police had rescued him from a jungle near Sanota village, where he was reportedly being held captive.
Sources confirmed police had made some arrests. The role of the driver, who was hired just a month and a half ago without police verification, is being checked.
Earlier, the family had received two ransom calls demanding Rs 2 crore.
Mahajan's company is among the biggest manufacturers and exporters of cricket bats, balls and other equipment in the country, all sold under the brand name BDM.
Meerut Range DIG Zaki Ahmed said the kidnappers used Mahajan's mobile phone to send an SMS and make two calls. The last call came at 7 am on Wednesday and the caller said he would call again at noon, but did not, the DIG said.
The kidnapping was reported from Ganga Nagar on Mawana road. Police say Mahajan, MD, Production and Quality, was on his way home in his Honda City car (UP 78 4808) when he was kidnapped. Based on call records, it is believed the abduction happened around 9-9.30 pm on Tuesday.
Police say they have ascertained on the basis of eyewitness accounts that the car had stopped at a point in Mawana road apparently after a breakdown. As Ravinder got off the car to check, another car pulled over and Mahajan and Ravinder were reportedly driven away at gunpoint. The abductors took the Honda City with them.
At 10.30 pm Tuesday, Mahajan's younger son Siddharth reportedly received a text message on his phone saying Mahajan had been kidnapped and the family should wait for a phone call to explain the matter, said a senior police officer.
- 4-yr-old sexually assaulted by school bus attendant
- 65 lakh voters register in Pune district
- Candidates declare assets, Ayali has property worth Rs 16.86 cr
- Chaos at DC office as heavyweights file papers
- Culex vishnui mosquito is now breeding in city, finds PGI survey
- Over 6 lakh registered voters in city