Owner of Mohali office among four booked for ‘sexually assaulting’ woman
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
The Mohali police has booked four persons, including two women and the owner of a shop-cum-office, for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman on December 12.
According to the woman — who has been running a call centre at the accused's office in Phase 5 for the last seven to eight years — she was harassed, molested and assaulted by the group. Following this, she reportedly approached the police but no FIR was registered. Next, she lodged a complaint with the 181 helpline, following which, a case was registered on Saturday.
The accused have been identified as office owner Tirath Singh, Nidhi, Tirath's partner and another woman.
Police said the woman has claimed that she had been involved in a legal battle with Tirath Singh for the last four years over the possession of the shop-cum-office. "The incident occurred after the court ruled in Tirath Singh's favour and handed over the possession of the place to him," said a police officer.
The woman alleged that on December 12, a group of 50 to 60 people gathered outside the office. At least 30 of them allegedly misbehaved with the staff and threatened them. They also threw things out of the office and harassed the woman. She claimed that she was taken to a cabin and sexually assaulted by several men, who also beat her up.
The woman added that her lawyer, too, turned up at the spot but was thrown outside along with her. The accused then snatched the victim's phone and Rs 15,000 cash, the woman said.
Following this, the victim approached the police but no FIR was registered. After she complained of police inaction at the 181 helpline, a case was registered at the police station in phase 1. On Saturday, all accused were booked for outraging a woman's modesty, wrongful confinement, rioting, criminal intimidation, obscene acts and theft made after preparation made for causing death or hurt under IPC sections.
- Treasure trove: Amicus points finger at temple ‘highest echelons’
- Ramdev ‘goes live’ on poll funding, Congress hits BJP on black money
- Vishwas, Cong worker booked
- Kanpur’s Muslim vote is for betterment, not to stop BJP
- Don’t name next Army Chief before May 16, BJP tells govt
- ‘Opposition conspiring to kill me’