Oz fund being used to make n-weapons in India, US: Report
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Australian government's 74 billion dollar Future Fund has come under scrutiny after a report said that the money was being used to make components for nuclear weapons for US, Britain, France and India.
According to 'The Age', records obtained under freedom of information laws said that funds of 135.4 million dollars invested in 15 companies involved in the design, production and maintenance of nuclear weapons for the United States, Britain, France and India.
It further added that about 3.8 million dollars of this is invested in Larsen & Toubro, a Mumbai-based company that is involved in building a fleet of nuclear-armed submarines for India and had also helped test a launch system for nation's nuclear missiles.
When asked to comment on the report L&T spokesman said, "We would not like to comment on it."
The report stressed that any investment involving the production of nuclear weapons for India was particularly controversial as it was not a signatory to NPT treaty.
The report quoted experts from the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons who claimed the investments contravene the fund's policy because the manufacture of nuclear weapons is illegal in Australia.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness