Padma awards for Abhinav, Dhoni
- 3.5 lakh well-off people have given up subsidised LPGs: PM Narendra Modi
- Meghalaya CM compares Rahul Gandhi to Alfred the Great, king who returned to conquer
- Naxals kill 7 of elite force in Sukma
- Across the Aisle: Land acquisition - Nine steps to nirvana
- India's Sons: What does it mean to be a man in India?
Shooter Abhinav Bindra was on Sunday awarded Padma Bhushan for fetching India's first individual Olympic gold medal while four other sportspersons, including cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, got Padma Shri for their achievements in their respective fields.
Besides Abhinav and Dhoni, off-spinner Harbhajan Singh, World Billiards Champion Pankaj Advani and former hockey player Balbir Singh Khullar were among Padma awardees.
The 26-year-old Abhinav, who won the gold in the men's 10-meter air rifle event at the Beijing Games, became the first-ever to achieve the feat in 108-year history of India in Olympics.
Abhinav, also the winner of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna -- the country's highest sporting honour way back in 2002, is among 30 others from all walks of life to win the Padma Bhushan.
Dhoni and Harbhajan were honoured for their exploits at the highest level in the sport of cricket.
Advani has won the world title in Billiards for three times besides being former snooker champion.
Dhoni and Advani have also won the Khel Ratna in 2008 and 2006 respectively.
Former hockey player Balbir Singh Khullar were among the 93 eminent personalities named for Padma Shri.