Padma Shri recipient new V-C of Ambedkar University
- AAP hands over Rs 10 lakh to family of Gajendra Singh, family demands memorial, jobs
- UP tells SC that prosecution on boy for post against Azam Khan will continue
- Uttarakhand CM says Rahul Kedarnath trek shows the way for Char Dham pilgrims
- At protest on net neutrality, Congress asks Centre to stop TRAI move
- Latest drone deaths a reminder of risk of 'deadly mistakes'
Former Panjab University vice-chancellor and Padma Shri recipient Dr Ranbir Chander Sobti took over as vice-chancellor of Lucknow-based Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU) on Monday. Sobti was appointed BBAU V-C last Tuesday by President Pranab Mukherjee in his capacity as the visitor of the university, for a period of five years. He took charge from outgoing V-C B Hanumaih.
Sobti is known for his nearly 40 year association with Panjab University. After obtaining his BSc, MSc and PhD degrees from Panjab University, he became its teaching assistant in 1974 and gradually rose and was appointed its vice-chancellor in July 2006. In 2009, he was awarded a three year extension. The same year, he was also awarded the Padma Shree.