Padma Shri recipient new V-C of Ambedkar University
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Former Panjab University vice-chancellor and Padma Shri recipient Dr Ranbir Chander Sobti took over as vice-chancellor of Lucknow-based Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU) on Monday. Sobti was appointed BBAU V-C last Tuesday by President Pranab Mukherjee in his capacity as the visitor of the university, for a period of five years. He took charge from outgoing V-C B Hanumaih.
Sobti is known for his nearly 40 year association with Panjab University. After obtaining his BSc, MSc and PhD degrees from Panjab University, he became its teaching assistant in 1974 and gradually rose and was appointed its vice-chancellor in July 2006. In 2009, he was awarded a three year extension. The same year, he was also awarded the Padma Shree.