Pak activist Jahangir suggests castration for Delhi rapists
- Ditched by Anna, Mamata rallies â around herself
- AAPâs existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- CBI chief for closing Lalu cases, director of prosecution doesnât agree
- Maoist attack: gaps between official version, facts on ground
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
Leading Pakistani rights activist Asma Jahangir on Tuyesday suggested that the men involved in the gangrape of a young woman in the Indian capital should be punished with castration.
Jahangir comments while speaking at a conference organised here by the South Asian Free Media Association, caused a flutter in the gathering.
Jahangir, a former chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, further suggested that if the rapists were not castrated, they should be hanged.
"The rapists must not go scot-free," she stressed.
She said the media should differentiate between victims of sexual torture and defenders of rights.
The gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old physiotherapy student on a moving bus in Delhi has caused much outrage in
India with demands of tough punishment for the perpetrators raised from all quarters.
The incident that brought people on the streets of the Indian capital prompted the government to set up a fast track court for hearing the case.