Pakistan arts college staff accused of blasphemy
- TDP and BJP set to part ways; both may field candidates on all Seemandhra seats
- Kumar Vishwas claims threat to life, to file FIR against Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- 2 States movie review: Alia Bhatt is a surprise
The principal and staff of Pakistan's first college of arts are facing accusations of blasphemy for including paintings and a feature that allegedly support homosexuality and ridicule Islamic values in the institution's annual journal.
An additional district and sessions judge on Tuesday directed the chief of Old Anarkali police station to act in accordance with law on an application seeking the registration of a criminal case against the administration of the National College of Arts in Lahore.
The application filed with police contended that the college's principal and staff had published paintings and a feature that "favoured homosexuality" and ridiculed Islamic values in the annual journal "Sohbat".
Judge Sajjad Ahmad issued the order in response to a petition filed by a man named Abad Ali and directed the police station chief to lodge an FIR if any cognizable offence was made out against the respondents.
The petitioner's counsel Mumtaz Ahmad Mangat argued that the college's principal and other members of its administration were liable to be prosecuted for disgracing the Quran and ridiculing Islam.
He asked the court to direct police to register a case against the respondents under the blasphemy law and the Anti-Terrorism Act.
NCA Principal Fauzia Qureshi and the editorial board and publisher of the journal were named as respondents in the petition.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer