Palghar preferred as new district HQ
- Rs 870 crore money trail: Why the Bhujbals are under scanner
- SC allows 'Make in India' event at Mumbai beach, PM to inaugurate
- Pawar defends Bhujbals, says Fadnavis govt indulging in vendetta politics
- Anupam Kher a great artiste, welcome to visit Pakistan: Abdul Basit
- Indian helicopters helped war against militants in Afghanistan: US General
A report has been submitted by the committee looking at the possibilities of carving out a new district out of Thane to the Maharashtra government, official sources said.
The report has preferred Palghar for the new district headquarters. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan held a meeting in this regard earlier this week, sources said.
Thane district has a population of about 1.10 crore as of now, sources said.
The report submitted by the committee headed by Konkan Divisional Commissioner Vijay Nahata has preferred Palghar over other locations for the new district.
The G B Pingulkar Committee headed by the then Thane district collector had conducted a detailed study of the facilities in the district and concluded in 1995 that Palghar, which has all the amenities, should be made the new district headquarters.
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism
- As it completes 10 years, there is enough evidence to show that India needs the MGNREGA
- For Randhir Singh, teaching was next to revolution-making.
- Intizar Husain seemed as much a stranger in a strange land in Pakistan as he did in India
- Ten years on, MGNREGA requires constant review. And consistency in political support
- The global economy is in trouble but India is attracting positive comment