Palghar preferred as new district HQ
- Sports court tears Narsingh Yadav defence, NADA’s credibility
- Ramya on sedition case: Will not apologise for my Pakistan remark, said nothing wrong
- I can't fight against the government or AFI, but I know the truth: OP Jaisha
- From Rajasthan to Bihar: Tracking floods in north India
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar
A report has been submitted by the committee looking at the possibilities of carving out a new district out of Thane to the Maharashtra government, official sources said.
The report has preferred Palghar for the new district headquarters. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan held a meeting in this regard earlier this week, sources said.
Thane district has a population of about 1.10 crore as of now, sources said.
The report submitted by the committee headed by Konkan Divisional Commissioner Vijay Nahata has preferred Palghar over other locations for the new district.
The G B Pingulkar Committee headed by the then Thane district collector had conducted a detailed study of the facilities in the district and concluded in 1995 that Palghar, which has all the amenities, should be made the new district headquarters.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon