Palghar preferred as new district HQ
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
A report has been submitted by the committee looking at the possibilities of carving out a new district out of Thane to the Maharashtra government, official sources said.
The report has preferred Palghar for the new district headquarters. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan held a meeting in this regard earlier this week, sources said.
Thane district has a population of about 1.10 crore as of now, sources said.
The report submitted by the committee headed by Konkan Divisional Commissioner Vijay Nahata has preferred Palghar over other locations for the new district.
The G B Pingulkar Committee headed by the then Thane district collector had conducted a detailed study of the facilities in the district and concluded in 1995 that Palghar, which has all the amenities, should be made the new district headquarters.
The new district is likely to include the talukas of Vasai, Palghar, Dahanu, Talasari, Jawhar, Mokhada, Wada and Vikramgadh. The other talukas — Thane, Kalyan, Bhiwandi, Sahapur, Ulhasnagar, Ambernath and Murbad, which are urbanised — will remain with the old Thane district, sources said.