Palghar preferred as new district HQ
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A report has been submitted by the committee looking at the possibilities of carving out a new district out of Thane to the Maharashtra government, official sources said.
The report has preferred Palghar for the new district headquarters. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan held a meeting in this regard earlier this week, sources said.
Thane district has a population of about 1.10 crore as of now, sources said.
The report submitted by the committee headed by Konkan Divisional Commissioner Vijay Nahata has preferred Palghar over other locations for the new district.
The G B Pingulkar Committee headed by the then Thane district collector had conducted a detailed study of the facilities in the district and concluded in 1995 that Palghar, which has all the amenities, should be made the new district headquarters.
The new district is likely to include the talukas of Vasai, Palghar, Dahanu, Talasari, Jawhar, Mokhada, Wada and Vikramgadh. The other talukas — Thane, Kalyan, Bhiwandi, Sahapur, Ulhasnagar, Ambernath and Murbad, which are urbanised — will remain with the old Thane district, sources said.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express