Palghar preferred as new district HQ
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
A report has been submitted by the committee looking at the possibilities of carving out a new district out of Thane to the Maharashtra government, official sources said.
The report has preferred Palghar for the new district headquarters. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan held a meeting in this regard earlier this week, sources said.
Thane district has a population of about 1.10 crore as of now, sources said.
The report submitted by the committee headed by Konkan Divisional Commissioner Vijay Nahata has preferred Palghar over other locations for the new district.
The G B Pingulkar Committee headed by the then Thane district collector had conducted a detailed study of the facilities in the district and concluded in 1995 that Palghar, which has all the amenities, should be made the new district headquarters.
The new district is likely to include the talukas of Vasai, Palghar, Dahanu, Talasari, Jawhar, Mokhada, Wada and Vikramgadh. The other talukas — Thane, Kalyan, Bhiwandi, Sahapur, Ulhasnagar, Ambernath and Murbad, which are urbanised — will remain with the old Thane district, sources said.