Palghar preferred as new distt HQ to be carved out of Thane
- Former Maharashtra home minister RR Patil passes away at 58
- HC to Manjhi govt: Don't take decisions having financial implications
- Kiran Bedi writes an open letter, says 'relieved my parents were not alive to see this'
- 'Fever gone', Kejriwal's top five priorities as he takes charge of Delhi
- It would be 'Bhaag BJP Bhaag' in 2016, says TMC after bypoll win
A report has been submitted by the committee looking at the possibilities of carving out a new district out of Thane to the Maharashtra government, official sources said.
The report has preferred Palghar for the new district headquarters.
State Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan took a meeting in this regard earlier this week, sources said.
Thane district has a population of about 1.10 crores as of now, sources said.
The report submitted by the committee headed by Konkan Divisional Commissioner Vijay Nahata has preferred Palghar than any other location for the new district.
The G B Pingulkar Committee headed by the then Thane district collector had conducted a detailed study of the facilities in the district and concluded in 1995 that Palghar, which has all the amenities, should be made the new district headquarters.
The new district is likely to include the talukas of Vasai, Palghar, Dahanu, Talasari, Jawhar, Mokhada, Wada and Vikramgadh.
The other talukas namely Thane, Kalyan, Bhiwandi, Sahapur, Ulhasnagar, Ambernath and Murbad, which are urbanised, will remain with the old Thane district, sources added.