Pallavi Purkayastha murder: Accused denies rape attempt
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy arrested in Lucknow, says he was not absconding
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
- In countdown to polls, UPA govt pushes for dozen cabinet proposals to beat model code of conduct
- Tarun Tejpal among three booked for possession of phones inside Goa jail
A 22-year-old watchman accused of murdering city lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha rubbished Tuesday the prosecution charge that he attempted to rape the victim.
Last month, the prosecution had submitted a draft chargesheet against Sajjad Mughal, accusing him of attempting to rape Pallavi, also an advisor to filmmaker Farhan Akhtar's firm Excel Entertainment.
"Mughal could have gone to Purkayastha's house to commit robbery, but he had no intention of raping her," his advocate Wahab Khan argued.
According to the prosecution, Mughal, a native of Jammu and Kashmir, was employed as a security guard at Himalayan Heights in suburban Wadala and killed Pallavi on August 9 last year for resisting his advances. Khan argued there were no supporting witnesses or material to suggest Mughal went to rape the lawyer.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past