Panchayat bans love marriage, bars women below 40 from shopping
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
Chidambaram was responding to queries on how he viewed the diktats issued by a panchayat in Asara village in Baghpat's Ramala area banning love marriages and barring women below 40 years of age from going out for shopping and using mobile phones inside and outside their homes, ordering women to cover their heads when they leave home.
"These kind of diktats by khap panchayats, fatwas, dress codes, according to me, they have no place in a democratic society," Chidambaram said.
"There are laws relating to obscenity. Those laws have to be obeyed. I don't think anyone can say what a boy-girl should wear and how they should talk to each other," the Home Minister said.