Panchet dam breaches danger mark
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Three days of downpour due to the peripheral effect of cyclone Phailin has caused the water level in Panchet dam of Damodar Valley Corporation to breach its danger mark and Maithon to hover near it.
"Following heavy showers in the catchment areas of rivers Damodar and Barakar, the water level was three feet above danger mark at Panchet Dam while water at Maithon was approaching alarming level," Chief Engineer (DVC-Civil) P Kiran said in Dhanbad Tuesday.
The ratio of water inflow in Maithon was 2.2 lakh acre feet per day, while 62,000 acre feet water was being discharged.
In Panchet, the ratio of water inflow in dam was 2.24 lakh acre-feet and 1.72 lakh acre feet water was being released from the dam per day following heavy rains in catchments areas of Damodar and Barakar rivers during the past three days, he added.
The official said the water level in Maithon Dam was recorded 494.7 feet against the danger mark of 495 feet now while in Panchet it was 428.7 against danger mark of 425 feet.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren has convened a high-level meeting here to take stock of the situation following the Phailin effect.
"We have already provided a report of crop damage. There will be a compiled damage report after the Disaster Management
department provides its report," a senior agriculture department officer said in Ranchi.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express