Panchmahals man gets 4-day police remand for ‘rape, murder’
- Arvind Kejriwal to launch AAP's Lok Sabha poll campaign from Haryana today
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
The man charged with rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl at Narsingpur village in Santrampur taluka of tribal the Panchmahals district was remanded into police custody for four days by a local court in Santrampur late on Saturday evening.
Accused Mohan Macchar (32) was produced in the court of judicial magistrate (first class), P B Patel in Santrampur around 6 pm on Sunday.
"Macchar confessed in the court that he had killed the girl and that he regretted his action. On our application, the court granted police custody of Macchar till January 23," Lunvada circle police inspector (CPI), Harshad Sutar told The Indian Express on Sunday.
A farm labourer, Macchar, had lured the girl by telling her that he would get her kites on the evening of Uttarayan last Monday. After taking her to a nearby farm, the accused had allegedly raped the child before strangulating her to death.
Machhar was arraigned by Kadi police from Sindhrana village of Kadi taluka in Mehsana district on Thursday night. He was later handed over to Santrampur police and arrested on Friday. During interrogation, Macchar had reportedly told police that he was in an inebriated condition when he raped the girl.
Protests against rape incidents
People of Narsingpur village and Santrampur town took out a rally in protests of recent cases of rape and murder in Narsingpur and Babrol villages on Saturday afternoon. The protesters marched to the office of Santrampur mamlatdar and submitted him a memorandum demanding speedy trial of the cases in fast track courts and stern punishment for culprits.
Woman found dead: Police lodge rape and murder case
Ahmedabad: The Gandhinagar police Sunday lodged a case of rape and murder against some unidentified persons. Two days ago, semi-naked body of an unidentified woman was found in a cemetery at Sargasan village in the district. Forensic reports confirmed that she was raped and then hit by an iron object killing her on the spot, police said.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Government blames BJP for delay in passage of Telangana bill in Rajya Sabha, may extend Parliament session
- Dhoni, do you believe you can win abroad? | The Indian Express
- ‘Troop movement should’ve been avoided if they knew (V K Singh’s) court date’