Pandit family demands probe by Mumbai Crime Branch
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
The family of Sandhya Singh, missing since December last year and feared killed, demanded Thursday her case be investigated by Mumbai Police Crime Branch.
It said an impartial probe was not possible otherwise as a Navi Mumbai Police officer was a suspect. Sandhya is sister of music composers Jatin-Lalit and actresses Vijeta and Sulakshana Pandit. The family claimed a skull and some bones found along Palm Beach Road in Navi Mumbai on January 27 were hers.
Police are awaiting DNA reports. Sandhya went missing while on way to a bank in Navi Mumbai on December 13.
"We made a verbal demand to Navi Mumbai Police today. I am consulting lawyers and we will soon make the demand in writing," said Lalit Pandit.
Sandhya's husband Jaiprakash Singh, a central excise commissioner in Indore, echoed Lalit's concern that there could not be an impartial probe in the circumstances.
Earlier this week, the family revealed assistant police inspector Anil Behrani posted at NRI Seawoods police station was investigating a theft at the Singh residence and was in touch with Sandhya till the day she went missing. Behrani had allegedly called and spoken to Sandhya several times. They had a 40-minute talk on the night of December 12, 2012. Sandhya went missing the next day.
"Even if Behrani was investigating theft of jewellery from our residence, why would he, or any police officer, need to speak to Sandhya for 40 minutes? Why are these aspects not being probed and why is only my son (Raghuveer) being questioned so many times?" Singh asked.
He also alleged Behrani had asked intrusive questions to Raghuveer about the marriage of his parents.
Navi Mumbai police said there was no incriminating evidence against the assistant police inspector, who was also questioned by Navi Mumbai Crime Branch three days ago.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment