Panel: Reduce dependence on ground water for drinking
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Gadkari says there's casteism in Bihar DNA then retracts by saying he meant 'political' DNA
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: Another poor start by KKR, lose openers early against DD
The national consultation of state ministers and secretaries in-charge of rural drinking water held on February 18-19 has recommended reducing dependence on ground water and shifting focus to surface water instead. For this, 'Ranney Well' technology needs to be adopted wherever feasible.
The consultation, presided over by MoS for Independent Charge for Drinking Water and Sanitation Bharatsinh Solanki, stressed on the need for inter-ministerial coordination for use of water resources by agriculture and industry so as to protect the provision for drinking water.
In the backdrop of dismal lack of potable water leading to various diseases, state representatives discussed the need to monitor health consequences of poor quality drinking water and profiling such diseases.