Pappu Kalani, 3 others get life sentence in 23-yr-old murder case
- Rs 870 crore money trail: Why the Bhujbals are under scanner
- SC allows 'Make in India' event at Mumbai beach, PM to inaugurate
- Pawar defends Bhujbals, says Fadnavis govt indulging in vendetta politics
- Anupam Kher a great artiste, welcome to visit Pakistan: Abdul Basit
- Indian helicopters helped war against militants in Afghanistan: US General
65-year-old Kalani and three others were found guilty by the court in the case on November 29.
The ex-MLA had been convicted for criminal conspiracy by Additional Sessions Judge Rajeshwari Bapat-Sarkar, who acquitted two others for want of evidence.
Ghanashyam Bhatija was murdered on February 27, 1990 near the Pinto Resorts in Ulhasnagar of Thane district. His brother Inder Bhatija, who had seen the murder, was also shot dead on April 27, 1999 despite having police protection.
According to police, both the murders were a fall-out of long-standing political and criminal enmities. The police had filed charge sheet against Pappu Kalani, Bacchi Pandey (50), Baba Gabrial (52), Mohamad Asrat Sheikh (45), Narendra Ramsinghani and Richard.
While Bacchi, Baba and Mohamad were held guilty of murder, under section 302 of IPC and conspiracy, Kalani was convicted only for conspiracy (section 120-B of Indian Penal Code).
Ramsinghani and Richard were acquitted in the case for want of evidence. Kalani was president of Ulhasnagar Municipal Council and Congress MLA at one time. Later he floated his own party.
After the ex-MLA and three others were found guilty by the court, special public prosecutor Vikas Patil had last week sought death penalty for all the four convicts.
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism
- As it completes 10 years, there is enough evidence to show that India needs the MGNREGA
- For Randhir Singh, teaching was next to revolution-making.
- Intizar Husain seemed as much a stranger in a strange land in Pakistan as he did in India
- Ten years on, MGNREGA requires constant review. And consistency in political support
- The global economy is in trouble but India is attracting positive comment