Park Street gangrape case: Charges framed against three
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Over a year after the incident, a fast-track court today framed charges of gangrape and criminal conspiracy against three accused in the controversial Park Street gangrape case.
The court framed charges against Nishad Khan alias Ruman Khan, Naseer Khan and Sumit Bajaj, who are at present in judicial custody, for raping a woman on the night of February 5, 2012 at the upmarket Park Street here.
Two other accused - Kadir Khan and Mohammed Ali are absconding. The court framed charges of gangrape, criminal conspiracy, voluntarily causing hurt, criminal intimidation and common intention against Nishad and Naseer, while Bajaj
was chargesheeted for gangrape and criminal conspiracy.
The victim, a 37-year-old single mother of two, was allegedly gangraped at gun-point inside a moving car during the intervening night of February 5-6, 2012.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee courted controversy after she dubbed the allegation as "cooked-up to malign her government".
However, a police team led by then Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen cracked the case and apprehended three of the accused. Sen was later transferred as DIG (training) to Barrackpore, a posting considered low-profile in police circles.
Earlier this year, the Supreme Court had denied bail to Bajaj and Nasser when they approached the apex court seeking the relief. The trial in the case will begin on March 2.