Parthasarathy Shome appointed adviser to Chidambaram
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
Government today appointed tax expert Parthasarathy Shome as adviser to Finance Minister P Chidambaram with the rank of Minister of State.
"Parthasarathy Shome has been appointed as Adviser to Finance Minister, in the rank of Minister of State, co-terminus with the period of office of the Finance Minister," said an official release.
Shome was appointed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as the Chairman of Committee on General Anti-Avoidance Rules (GAAR) in July.
The committee submitted its draft report in September wherein it has suggested deferring implementation of GAAR by three years to April 2016. The committee also submitted its final report to the Finance Minister in October.
The Committee was also asked to give its views on the retrospective tax laws amendment, which has created a controversy as it sought to undo the Supreme Court judgement in the Vodafone case.
Between October 2004 - January 2008, Shome acted as adviser to the then Union Finance Minister. He was also a member of the Prime Minister's Trade & Economic Relations Committee.
As co-convener, Shome submitted the first report on Goods and Services Tax (GST) to the Empowered Committee of state FMs and Union Finance Minister in December 2007.
Shome, who has authored several books on tax policies, was a Professor with the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER).
He has earlier worked with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and also advised the World Bank and the United Nations in various projects.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress