Partial BJP list may be out on Monday
- As a public figure, you must learn to face criticism: SC tells Jayalalithaa in defamation case
- Rajnath Singh: Those who believe in Kashmiriyat, Insaniyat & Jamhooriyat welcome for talks
- Rohith Vemula was not a Dalit, says probe panel set up by HRD Ministry
- Scorpene Submarine: Will probe leak, says DCNS; source not from India, says Defence Ministry
- Saradha scam: ED summons Chidambaram's wife Nalini
BJP will announce on Monday a partial list of its candidates, at least 20 of them, for the first phase of polls due on December 13.
The full list for the first phase will be declared by November 23, a day ahead of the last date of filing nominations.
Several ministers from Saurashtra region may find their names in the first list. While national BJP's vice-president Purshottam Rupala is unlikely to contest this time, Finance Minister Vajubhai Vala, Vasuben Trivedi, Kanubhai Bhalala and Mohanbhai Kundaria could be fielded, say party sources.
For BJP, the focus will be on Saurashtra region. The ruling party also faces a problem in Bhavnagar's Mahuva constituency, where its rebel MLA Kanubhai Kalsaria is in no mood to compromise with the official BJP leadership. Kalsaria may field independent candidates in some constituencies of the area.
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways
- Mental Health Bill tries to address complex issues, but it’s a work in progress
- Modi’s recent statements could help end the troubled region’s long international isolation
- Divya Spandana: Pakistan is no hell, I stand by my remarks
- The freedom from unreason
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity