Patiala court awards 2-year sentence to former SSP
- Mali hostage crisis ends as security forces gun down militants; 27 killed
- Sheena Bora case: Peter charged with murder, criminal conspiracy
- Nitish Kumar sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister; Lalu's sons in Cabinet
- UP keeps its distance from Bihar: Why Mulayam, Akhilesh didn't attend Nitish swearing-in
- Madras HC stays cancellation of Greenpeace India registration
A local court on Monday sentenced former Ferozepur SSP Gurchran Singh Pherurai to two years imprisonment in the PPSC cash-for-job scam case.
Pherurai was held guilty by Additional Sessions Judge K C Gupta under Section 12 of the Prevention of Corruption Act for paying Rs 70 lakh as bribe to one Ravi Sidhu to help secure a Punjab Civil Services job for his daughter Kuljeet Kaur.
Punjab Vigilance Bureau had registered the case against Pherurai on September 5, 2002, after it was accused that his daughter Kuljeet and a few other candidates bribed former Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC) chairman Sidhu in 1998.
Pherurai, however, could secure bail from the same court after depositing a fine of Rs 10,000.
- Modi can leverage foreign policy to repair his domestic image
- Muslims biggest losers from our reservation policy, one that Bhagwat rightly wants reviewed
- If Pak state really cared for its people, it would put national economy above all else
- Despite little coverage in India, the Argentinian presidential election is significant
- Uday lacks a strong, accessible monitoring mechanism critical for its success
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say