Patiala court awards 2-year sentence to former SSP
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- Kumar Vishwas files application alleging threat to life from Rahul and Priyanka
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs CSK: CSK remove KXIP openers in a hurry
A local court on Monday sentenced former Ferozepur SSP Gurchran Singh Pherurai to two years imprisonment in the PPSC cash-for-job scam case.
Pherurai was held guilty by Additional Sessions Judge K C Gupta under Section 12 of the Prevention of Corruption Act for paying Rs 70 lakh as bribe to one Ravi Sidhu to help secure a Punjab Civil Services job for his daughter Kuljeet Kaur.
Punjab Vigilance Bureau had registered the case against Pherurai on September 5, 2002, after it was accused that his daughter Kuljeet and a few other candidates bribed former Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC) chairman Sidhu in 1998.
Pherurai, however, could secure bail from the same court after depositing a fine of Rs 10,000.
The then Congress government in Punjab headed by Captain Amarinder Singh had decided to dispense with the services of 28 direct appointees while 18 who were nominated had been sent to their previous positions, out of 46 PCS (Executive) officers who were selected in 1998.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer