- PM Narendra Modi visits Pathankot air force base
- US wants Pakistan to act fast against Pathankot attack perpetrators
- Aamir Khan is a traitor, says BJP MP Manoj Tiwari at House panel meet
- Probing Pathankot attack: How wires got crossed in Delhi
- After terror attacks in Punjab, Army uniforms once sold openly now disappear
While saying the highly impassioned dialogues and reliving lives of freedom fighters, I would constantly think about that era and the mental state of the revolutionaries —their routine how they lived their lives
Was doing a film like Chittagong, which is based on a 1930 revolution in East India, an easy decision?
I was only too happy to be part of a film which depicted our freedom fighters during the British rule. Not many films are made on such themes, and I wanted to be associated with it.
Did playing the patriot, Nirmal Sen in Chittagong impact you in any way?
Definitely! While saying the highly impassioned dialogues and reliving lives of freedom fighters, I would constantly think about that era and the mental state of the revolutionaries—their routine how they lived their lives.
What did you learn while working in Chittagong?
I am from North India and had no knowledge about Surya Sen and his band of teenage revolutionaries and their movement against the British. While working in the film, I felt that every Indian should watch this film and learn about the passionate fervour prevalent even among little children at that time.
Which other Hindi film with a patriotic bend has impacted you the most?
The 1964 Haqeeqat directed by Chetan Anand. I think it was one of the best war films which depicted the lives of Indian officers in the armed forces. The song, Kar chale hum fida strikes a deep chord and is very soul stirring.
Which freedom fighter's courage and patriotism do you admire?
I like Gandhiji's philosophy on life and non-violence. And Ben Kingsley's portrayal of Gandhi in Gandhi left an indelible impression on my mind.
How can a person be patriotic in today's times?
- New Year Postcard-8: Where’s the Varanasi PM Modi promised?
- Pathankot: If Indian and Pak leaders pass this test, they can go much further
- Syed Babar Ali is a self-effacing empire-builder
- Tashkent Declaration brought an inconclusive war to an inconclusive end
- The man in the black robe
- Across the Aisle: Price of procrastination