PAU elections: Campaigning ends; pending arrears, salary on time major poll plans
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Campaigning for PAU Employee Union poll ended on Wednesday amid mudslinging in rallies held at the PAU campus.
Mango group led by Paramjit Singh Gill and Cycle group led by Harbans Singh Mundi, the two oldest contesting groups were seen blaming each other.
Pamphlets accusing each other on various issues were released by both groups and were distributed among the employees. As many as 1,384 employees including ministerial, technical and field staff will vote for 15 posts of PAU Employees Union on January 10 at PAU campus.
Baldev Walia from Mango group, Mundi from cycle group, Avtar Chand from Ladder group and KK Sachdeva from Letterbox group are fighting for the post of president. Letterbox and Ladder group has been formed this year after factionalism in cycle group.
Salaries on time and release of pending arrears from Punjab Government (Rs 64 crore approx) have been listed as the major agenda by all the four groups. Talking to Newsline, Gill said, "We will work to get pending arrears of 2,200 employees released. Rs 64 crore is pending with the state government. We will make sure that employees get their salaries on the first day of the month. Salaries of December have not been released yet."
"It was during Mundi's term as president of the union that in a meeting held on March 30, 2011 decision was taken to recruit under directorial scale which is far less than technical scale. We will ensure that it is rolled back. Also, it is in our term (2011-13) that mobile allowances which was rolled back by the board of management have been re-instated," Gill said.
On the other hand, head of cycle group Harbans Mundi who was in power from 2007 to 2011 alleged that Rs 42 lakh issued for renovation of type 12 and type 14 quarters were not used. "I got Rs 42 lakh released for renovation of employee quarters during my term. Not even a single penny has been used for the purpose. Where did it go?" he asked. He added that directorate scale decision was not taken in his term but Gill's term. "The letter for new recruitment under directorate scale came on Jan 14, 2012 when they were in power. How can they blame me," he said.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express