PAU gets ready for National Youth Fest; top hotels booked for VIPs
- Sheena Bora murder case: Third accused Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police
- 3 civilians dead, nearly a dozen injured in Pakistan firing in J&K
- Nitish Kumar's Arvind Kejriwal symbolism looks good but unease in allies RJD, Congress
- OROP row: Veterans reject govt offer, boycott 1965 golden jubilee celebrations
- Patidar protest: HC directs CID to investigate custodial death of Patel youth
Preparations are under way for the National Youth Festival which will be held from January 12-16 at the Punjab Agricultural University.
Around 4,200 students from all over India are expected to come.
On Tuesday, Ashok Gupta along with Deputy Commissioner Rajat Aggarwal oversaw all the preparations.
The event is being organised by the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs in coordination with the state government and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan.
Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Jitendra Singh along with top officials from the sports ministry will attend the event. The administration has made special arrangements for their stay at top five-star hotels in the city. As for students, while 3,500 of them will put up at PAU hostels, others will be staying at Government College for Girls.
However, there is no confirmation of Vice-President Hamid Ansari's visit. "We are still not confirming his presence and most probably Governor Shivraj Patil will be there," said J P Malik, zonal director of the fest.
For the VIPs, the administration has booked suites worth Rs 25,000 in a top hotel. At present, 13 such rooms have been booked.
"Till now 13 rooms have been booked in a five-star hotel for sports ministry officials while judges and other state-level dignitaries will be staying in other three-star and four-star hotels where around 40 rooms have been booked. As per requirement, more rooms may be booked in five-star hotels," said a source from the accommodation committee.