PDP, NC, separatists condemn execution
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
The execution of Afzal Guru was condemned by both the separatists and pro-India political parties while the Lashkar-e-Toiba warned of retaliatory attacks across India.
The ruling National Conference expressed "sadness" over the execution and sought death for soldiers responsible for killings in Kashmir.
"The execution will adversely impact the situation in Kashmir. It will give new ammunition to the separatist camp which was otherwise losing support," CM Omar Abdullah's uncle and party leader Mustafa Kamal said.
He added, "Many people who have committed graver crimes and have been awarded death by Indian courts are not hanged due to political compulsions. The Centre should also award death sentences to soldiers who have committed crimes like Pathribal killings, Kupwara massacre. Recently Sushil Kumar Shinde said RSS and VHP workers are also involved in the killing of people. They should also be awarded similar sentences."
The opposition Peoples Democratic Party demanded that Afzal's body be returned to his family so he could be buried in his village. PDP spokesman Naeem Akhtar also alleged that the state government was complicit in the execution. "Whatever are the repercussions of this hanging, the chief minister would be equally responsible for that. He is not just the chief minister but also a partner in the UPA."
The hardline faction of the Hurriyat said Afzal was not involved in the attack on Parliament. "It is injustice. Afzal Guru sahab was not personally involved in the attack. He was not given a chance to defend himself in trial court," said Hurriyat chief Syed Ali Shah Geelani. "His family should have been given a chance to meet him prior to the execution." Geelani has called a three-day shutdown.
The moderate Hurriyat faction announced four days of mourning for Afzal.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment