Peeved over Asaram row, sadhu chops off genitals in Uttar Pradesh
- LIVE: Rahul Gandhi returns to Delhi from sabbatical
- The two critical by-poll results which were overlooked
- 80 crore youth, 160 crore strong hands. What can we not achieve?
- Corporate war between media house, operator confounding net neutrality debate: TRAI chief Rahul Khullar
- Military institute student to son of ex-judge, Islamic State taps Dhaka gen-next
Apparently peeved at the allegations against self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, a 50-year-old sadhu chopped off his genitals in Madhavpur village in Amethi, police said on Thursday.
"I am not a follower of Asaram but I am peeved with such allegations against a saint. These allegations are a blot on the fraternity of saints," police sources quoted Sant Baba Premdas of Udaseen Math as having said after his extreme act.
He was rushed to a hospital after he inflicted the injury on himself, police said, adding that he has now been referred to Sultanpur for treatment.
Asaram is facing charges of having sexually assaulted a minor girl at one of his ashrams at Jodhpur in Rajasthan.