Peeved over Asaram row, sadhu chops off genitals in Uttar Pradesh
- Yoga Day celebration at Rajpath sets two Guinness World Records
- Yoga not religious; an antidote to violence, conflict: Swaraj at UN
- Death toll climbs to 97 in Mumbai hooch tragedy, 2 women arrested
- 'Peepli Live' co-director, Mahmood Farooqui arrested on rape charges
- Lalit Modi invoked British royal names for UK travel papers
Apparently peeved at the allegations against self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, a 50-year-old sadhu chopped off his genitals in Madhavpur village in Amethi, police said on Thursday.
"I am not a follower of Asaram but I am peeved with such allegations against a saint. These allegations are a blot on the fraternity of saints," police sources quoted Sant Baba Premdas of Udaseen Math as having said after his extreme act.
He was rushed to a hospital after he inflicted the injury on himself, police said, adding that he has now been referred to Sultanpur for treatment.
Asaram is facing charges of having sexually assaulted a minor girl at one of his ashrams at Jodhpur in Rajasthan.