Person in bakery CCTV footage is Yasin Bhatkal, cop tells court
- As a public figure, you must learn to face criticism: SC tells Jayalalithaa in defamation case
- Rajnath Singh: Those who believe in Kashmiriyat, Insaniyat & Jamhooriyat welcome for talks
- Rohith Vemula was not a Dalit, says probe panel set up by HRD Ministry
- Scorpene Submarine: Will probe leak, says DCNS; source not from India, says Defence Ministry
- Saradha scam: ED summons Chidambaram's wife Nalini
Dinesh Parshuram Kadam (36), inspector with Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS), deposed before the court on Tuesday that the person in the CCTV footage of German Bakery wearing a cap and carrying two haversacks was Yasin Bhatkal. He said he had also confirmed this with Bhatkal's younger brother Abdul Samad when he was taken into custody for another case.
Kadam, prosecution witness number 101, the last few witnesses in the German Bakery blast trial, was examined by special public prosecutor Raja Thakare before additional sessions judge N P Dhote.
Kadam said in 2009, as part of investigations in a case where IM members were wanted for sending e-mails to government offices and media, claiming responsibility for Ahmedabad blasts 2008, he had visited Bhatkal village in Karnataka in search for Yasin, Riyaz and Iqbal Bhatkal, who were wanted in the case. "During the probe, I got two photos of Bhatkal which along with his other personal details have been maintained in an album as a routine procedure," he said.
After the German Bakery blast on February 13, 2010, Kadam was called to Pune and was showed German Bakery's CCTV footage. "I saw that a suspect had come to German Bakery wearing a cap, carrying two haversacks. I recognised him as Yasin Bhatkal from the photos I had acquired in 2009," he said.
On May 24, 2010, Samad was arrested from Mangalore in another case. "When he was in our custody, I had showed him our album as well as the CCTV grab from German Bakery. Samad confirmed that it was his elder brother Ahmed (Ahmed Zarar Siddibappa) alias Bhatkal," Kadam said.
Kadam said personal dossier on Samad maintained by ATS shows that Bhatkal is his elder brother. Copies of the album with Bhatkal's photo and Samad's personal dossier were submitted to the court.
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways
- Mental Health Bill tries to address complex issues, but it’s a work in progress
- Modi’s recent statements could help end the troubled region’s long international isolation
- Divya Spandana: Pakistan is no hell, I stand by my remarks
- The freedom from unreason
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity