Pervert who put chastity lock on wife gets 10 years in jail
- Parliament has become an area of combat, says President Mukherjee in I-Day eve address
- Security heightened in all state capitals and major cities ahead of Independence Day
- Little possibility of GST rolling out from April 2016: Piyush Goyal
- Rahul disapproves of police action against OROP protesters
- 'Godwoman' Radhe Maa faces criminal case in Ludhiana for 'hurting religious sentiments'
A man, who put a 'chastity lock' on his wife in a cruel, self-devised way, was awarded 10 years' rigorous sentence by the court here today though the victim had retracted her statement during the trial.
Additional Sessions Judge Avnindra Kumar Singh also imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on the accused Sohanlal Chouhan (38), a mechanic by profession, under sections 326 (causing grievous hurt) and section 498 (subjecting wife to cruelty) of the Indian Penal Code.
According to the prosecution, Sohanlal, over four years, 'locked' his wife's private parts every time he left the home. He had carried out a crude surgery on her to put the lock.
The suspicion of her character made him indulge in this bizarre cruelty, Public Prosecutor Jyoti Tomar told the court. The woman suffered serious injuries in the process.
It came to light when the woman tried to end her life by consuming rat poison on July 16 last year. While treating her, a doctor at M Y Hospital found the lock and informed the police.
Dr Vibha Moses, who examined the woman, told the court that she had found the lock on woman's private parts, and the woman told her that her husband had fixed it four years ago, after forcing her to eat opium for anaesthetic effect.