Petition in court against godman
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuels fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- UP BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
A complaint was filed in a local court in Lucknow on Tuesday, seeking registration of an FIR against godman Asaram Bapu for allegedly using words intended to insult the modesty of a woman.
The complaint was filed by Madan Lal Shukla, a social worker, in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajesh Upadhyay. The court fixed January 22 for the next date of hearing and directed Lucknow police to file a report.
On Sunday evening, Asaram Bapu, while addressing followers in in Rajasthan, suggested that the Delhi gangrape victim was also to blame for the crime and she should have called her assailants brothers and fallen at their feet.
Shukla alleged Asaram used derogatory language while making the suggestions and, therefore, a case should be lodged against him. "We stated in the complaint that a case under Section 509 of the IPC (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) should be filed against Asaram Bapu," his counsel said.
Asaram had also reportedly said that only drunken rapists are not to be blamed. "Taali dono haath se bajti hai (it takes two for such things to happen). She should have called them (rapists) brothers and fallen at their feet and might have escaped... If she chanted Saraswati mantra and had taken diksha, she would not have boarded the bus.''
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress