Petition in court against godman
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
A complaint was filed in a local court in Lucknow on Tuesday, seeking registration of an FIR against godman Asaram Bapu for allegedly using words intended to insult the modesty of a woman.
The complaint was filed by Madan Lal Shukla, a social worker, in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajesh Upadhyay. The court fixed January 22 for the next date of hearing and directed Lucknow police to file a report.
On Sunday evening, Asaram Bapu, while addressing followers in in Rajasthan, suggested that the Delhi gangrape victim was also to blame for the crime and she should have called her assailants brothers and fallen at their feet.
Shukla alleged Asaram used derogatory language while making the suggestions and, therefore, a case should be lodged against him. "We stated in the complaint that a case under Section 509 of the IPC (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) should be filed against Asaram Bapu," his counsel said.
Asaram had also reportedly said that only drunken rapists are not to be blamed. "Taali dono haath se bajti hai (it takes two for such things to happen). She should have called them (rapists) brothers and fallen at their feet and might have escaped... If she chanted Saraswati mantra and had taken diksha, she would not have boarded the bus.''
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18