PGI contract workers burn effigy, seek equal pay
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
There was high drama at PGIMER during the second day of the two-day nationwide strike on Thursday as the members of the contractual staff association burnt an effigy of the premier hospital's medical superintendent. The workers had gathered outside the main entrance and also raised slogans against him.
They demanded the implementation of the equal work, equal pay norm. Meanwhile, health services at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh were partially affected for the second consecutive day as over 1,500 workers went on strike on Thursday. There were long queues at the new OPD blocks and traffic chaos on the main road inside the premises.
PGIMER officials, however, claimed that all emergency services, OPDs and indoor services functioned as per schedule. As per the contingency plan, hospital attendants and sanitation attendants, from within and outside, were redistributed in different areas on Thursday. With the cooperation of clinicians, paramedical and other staff the patient care did not suffer and the functioning was near normal.
The number of patients registered in the new OPD block was 5,515 and till 4 pm, 127 major surgeries were performed in the various operation theatres , officials said.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express