Photo I-cards: Now, EC to collect details over phone
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
As the summary revision of electoral roll has been completed, the Chief Electoral Office (CEO) of UP has decided to introduce the facility of collecting details of voters over phone from January 15, after publication of draft electoral roll. An applicant will have to dial EC's helpline number - 1950- where the operator will collect details of applicant orally and fill his application form on-line. The form would be sent to Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) concerned through e-mail who will provide its printout to Booth Level Officer (BLO) concerned. The BLO will then visit the applicant's residence and verify the details provided in the form by checking the required documents for identity and residence proof.
After completing the formalities of verification, the applicant's name would be registered in the electoral roll and he would be issued an Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC). "Applicants would be able to contact the helpline number also to correct their details in electoral rolls and EPIC," said CEO Umesh Sinha.
Sinha said the service would make the voter registration process convenient particularly for those who cannot move out because of their busy schedule or health problems.
Officials said that voter registration application facility will also be made available at nearly 3,000 Common Service Centres (CSCs) set up in blocks across the state. After January 15, people could submit applications there and collect EPICs after verification. EC will use the National Informatics Centre gateway and assistance of its service providers at CSC to provide this facility. The EC staff will do the monitoring.
Sinha said all these facilities would be provided after the draft electoral roll was published on January 15.
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2
- Rohith’s despair speaks of the collective failure of the teaching community
- Mehbooba Mufti has held out CBMs for the BJP-PDP coalition
- What if we cannot poke a little innocent fun at one another
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar