Phulkari, Then and Now
- Supreme Court to hear plea today for relook at verdict on gay sex
- J&K Governor calls for talks today, PDP signals phone call from Delhi may bring back BJP alliance
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.7%; CRR at 4%
- Raigad: 13 Pune college students drown during picnic at Murud beach
- Zika virus outbreak: WHO declares global emergency
It started as a tradition that passed on from mothers to their daughters. Phulkari, literally meaning floral work, has since then, come a long way. As Lajwanti, a Rashtapati Awardee, says, "It is popular all over the world." For a woman who has spent her entire life in the art form and so much so that her son and daughter practise this form of textile, her words seem to hold some grain of truth.
The Indira Gandhi Centre for Arts (IGNCA) completed its 25 years and is celebrating its silver jubilee by holding seminars, conferences, and exhibitions on various aspects of Indian arts and culture. An exhibition "Phulkari: from the realm of women's creativity", which started on Tuesday, shows the collection of the Janapada Sampada division of IGNCA. There will be workshops and demonstration by women artists from Patiala on phulkari. A visitor, Sushma Mathew says, "The best part about this exhibition is that everything from saris to dupattas are available here. Not only can we buy them, but one can also learn of the art form." Others felt that though phulkari is available in places such as Dilli Haat and at emporiums, those were costlier than at this exhibition.
The exhibition is on till May 3, at IGNCA, Janpath.
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism
- As it completes 10 years, there is enough evidence to show that India needs the MGNREGA
- For Randhir Singh, teaching was next to revolution-making.
- Intizar Husain seemed as much a stranger in a strange land in Pakistan as he did in India
- Ten years on, MGNREGA requires constant review. And consistency in political support
- The global economy is in trouble but India is attracting positive comment