Picking gaps in South Africa squad
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
Ishant Sharma's selection, Gautam Gambhir's non-inclusion are two questionable decisions made by selectors.
When good people do unexpected things, you search for reasons why they could be right before condemning their choices. And it was with that objective that I sat down to look at the Test team to South Africa. A selection committee that has done a wonderful job so far has picked a side that I hope perplexes more people than just me.
For a start, seventeen players for two Tests? Ideally, you look at the different skills you need in the playing eleven and pick an option for each should there be a last minute injury. Unless the pitches South Africa offer India are going to be drastically different, and that has as much chance as India giving them a Durban lookalike at home, you would play two openers, four other batsmen, a wicket keeper, a spinner and three seamers. So, on the outside you need sixteen players. But I suspect the selectors have broken down those categories and found themselves in a dilemma over the choice of spinners. Hence this unusual selection.
In South Africa, you are unlikely to play both Zaheer Khan and Bhuvaneshwar Kumar; you can't have two swing bowlers largely on the friendly side of 130 kmph. That means two quicker bowlers, most likely Mohd Shami and Umesh Yadav. And Ishant Sharma as cover for one of them. That is five bowlers already. Ravichandran Ashwin picks himself and Pragyan Ojha can't be dropped immediately after figures of 10-89. But then there is this theory that you could play five bowlers in South Africa. Neither of the five seamers bats and Ojha doesn't either, so the only way to do that is to pick Ravindra Jadeja and hope that he fits in with Dhoni and Ashwin in some permutation at numbers 6,7 and 8. So that base had to be covered. That is eight bowlers already.
- Google’s mystery barge finds new home
- Allahabad, Phulpur Congress oppose ‘outsider’ nominees
- Bombay HC allows R-Infra to amend suit against AAP
- US job growth picks speed, weather cuts into hours worked
- As RBI readies to issue licences, old private banks in spotlight
- BJP writes to EC against dropping of sedition charges