PIL says Visva-Bharati V-C purchased liquor from university fund
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
A PIL was filed in the Calcutta High Court on Thursday alleging that Vice-Chancellor of Visva-Bharati University, Sushanta Duttagupta, used university fund to buy liquor. Subodh Mitra, a member of the Alumni Committee of the university, who has filed the PIL, has demanded sacking of the V-C on the ground that the V-C's integrity is questionable. PIL stated that the five attached bills in the name of Duttagupta show that liquor was purchased at India International Centre in New Delhi, and the money to pay the bills was paid from the exchequer of the university. Duttagupta's lawyer, however, termed the allegation baseless and false. Some guests of the university had stayed at the hostel and consumed liquor, the lawyer said. So the bill was prepared in the name of Duttagupta as he was the head of administration of the university. The court has asked the V-C to file affidavit within six weeks explaining the payment for liquor.