PIL says Visva-Bharati V-C purchased liquor from university fund
- Fresh tremors felt in Nepal as death toll crosses 4,000 mark
- Nepal Earthquake: At Kathmandu Airport, a bit of panic, a lot of paranthas and puri
- Paid Rs 320 for a bottle of water, Nepal quake survivors recall the horror
- Nepal earthquake: First hand account from a mountaineer
- Even moderate tremors can cause heavy casualties in Delhi: Experts
A PIL was filed in the Calcutta High Court on Thursday alleging that Vice-Chancellor of Visva-Bharati University, Sushanta Duttagupta, used university fund to buy liquor. Subodh Mitra, a member of the Alumni Committee of the university, who has filed the PIL, has demanded sacking of the V-C on the ground that the V-C's integrity is questionable. PIL stated that the five attached bills in the name of Duttagupta show that liquor was purchased at India International Centre in New Delhi, and the money to pay the bills was paid from the exchequer of the university. Duttagupta's lawyer, however, termed the allegation baseless and false. Some guests of the university had stayed at the hostel and consumed liquor, the lawyer said. So the bill was prepared in the name of Duttagupta as he was the head of administration of the university. The court has asked the V-C to file affidavit within six weeks explaining the payment for liquor.