PIL says Visva-Bharati V-C purchased liquor from university fund
- Malaysia Airlines plane may have turned back before vanishing, says Air force chief
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
A PIL was filed in the Calcutta High Court on Thursday alleging that Vice-Chancellor of Visva-Bharati University, Sushanta Duttagupta, used university fund to buy liquor. Subodh Mitra, a member of the Alumni Committee of the university, who has filed the PIL, has demanded sacking of the V-C on the ground that the V-C's integrity is questionable. PIL stated that the five attached bills in the name of Duttagupta show that liquor was purchased at India International Centre in New Delhi, and the money to pay the bills was paid from the exchequer of the university. Duttagupta's lawyer, however, termed the allegation baseless and false. Some guests of the university had stayed at the hostel and consumed liquor, the lawyer said. So the bill was prepared in the name of Duttagupta as he was the head of administration of the university. The court has asked the V-C to file affidavit within six weeks explaining the payment for liquor.