Pimpri: octroi to be levied in 3 slabs
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
The general body meeting on Monday of the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation approved a proposal to bring uniformity in octroi rates.
In effect, this means the octroi rates would be charged under three slabs in Pimpri-Chinchwad 1 per cent, 2.40 per cent and 8 per cent.
PCMC Commissioner Dr Shrikar Pardeshi said there was a lot of confusion about levying octroi on different items and raw material.
"Everyday this created confusion and arguments at octroi posts. Therefore, we decided to bring in uniformity in octroi rates," he said.
The general body approved the administration's proposal by a majority vote. Officials said earlier there were 18 rates which were brought down to six and now various items will be charged under the three rates.
An official said industrial raw material will be charged 2.40 per cent octroi. "The move is also expected to curb corruption in the octroi department," an official said.