Pimpri: octroi to be levied in 3 slabs
- Five pending cases against Congress' Imran Masood
- Rajnath Singh cracks the whip, expels veteran party leader Jaswant Singh for six years
- Black box detector to join missing Malaysian jetliner search
- Muzaffarnagar: BJP candidate says âthis time itâs about swabhiman, not sadakâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress' Imran Masood has five pending cases against him
The general body meeting on Monday of the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation approved a proposal to bring uniformity in octroi rates.
In effect, this means the octroi rates would be charged under three slabs in Pimpri-Chinchwad 1 per cent, 2.40 per cent and 8 per cent.
PCMC Commissioner Dr Shrikar Pardeshi said there was a lot of confusion about levying octroi on different items and raw material.
"Everyday this created confusion and arguments at octroi posts. Therefore, we decided to bring in uniformity in octroi rates," he said.
The general body approved the administration's proposal by a majority vote. Officials said earlier there were 18 rates which were brought down to six and now various items will be charged under the three rates.
An official said industrial raw material will be charged 2.40 per cent octroi. "The move is also expected to curb corruption in the octroi department," an official said.