Pinki Pramanik seeks CM's intervention in her case
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
Alleging harassment by police, Asian Games Gold medallist Pinki Pramanik, who has been charged with rape, today urged Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to intervene in the case.
"I would like the chief minister to speak out against my harassment and want the cooperation of Sports minister Madan Mitra and the West Bengal government. Many people assured me of help in my days of crisis, but there are none around me now. This is shocking," Pinki, who has been identified as male by police in its charge sheet after medical reports, told reporters.
Reiterating her charge that the police were harassing her and provoking her to commit suicide, the athlete who won the 4x400 m relay gold in 2006 Doha Asian Games, said, "I gave so much to the country and many persons including those from sporting fraternity promised help, but I regret that none are forthcoming."
The 26-year-old Pinki, who has been accused of raping her live-in partner Anamika Acharya said, "The greatest blunder in my life was to give her shelter."
Asked if Pinki would move a defamation case against the police for alleged harassment, her lawyer M Sanyal said that they were yet to receive a copy of the medical report submitted by the prosecution in the court.
The medical report from the CFSL, Hyderabad confirmed that she was a male which Pinki has contested arguing that higher male hormones does not make one a male.
Pinki was arrested on June 14 after her live-in partner filed an FIR against the athlete for rape and cheating and an order for medical examination to confirm her gender was issued thereafter.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed