Pipe under Govandi building bursts, 1 dead, 14 injured
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
ONE person was killed and at least 14 were injured in a freak accident caused by a pipeline burst at a residential building in Govandi on Monday. The incident occurred around 4 am at an SRA building in Anand Nagar area.
While Devi Singh Hazare, 60, was declared dead on arrival at Shatabdi Hospital, two residents are critical. "The force of the water from the pipeline was intense as it damaged more than 18 rooms on the ground floor of the seven-storey structure. It also led to flooding in the corridors, broken windows and collapse of the side wall," said a civic official. Over 2,000 families that live in the Anand Nagar area, largely a slum belt, are supplied water through the 24-inch pipeline.
"The 24-inch water pipeline was over 40 years old and the water supply had recently been diverted toward another line but the line had still been kept open. The water pressure along with an air trap might have led to the pipe burst," said R Bamble, chief engineer, hydraulic department. It took the civic administration over five hours to repair the pipeline.
"Temporarily, we have diverted the water supply from the reservoir but will ensure that the residents get the usual water supply from Tuesday," said Bamble.
Govandi police have registered a complaint of causing death due to negligence against the builder and the society members.
"Hazare was trapped in his house when the water entered. He was found unconscious and was rushed to hospital where he was declared dead before admission. A preliminary opinion offered by the doctors indicates death due to drowning," said senior inspector Bhalchandra Rane.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today