Players’ Hong Kong plans hit for a six by BCCI
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has barred seven Indian cricketers from participating in the Hong Kong Sixes tournament that is held at the Kowloon Cricket Club annually. The Indian Express has learned that cricketers including India international Praveen Kumar, Ajit Chandila, Siddharth Chitnis, Ishan Malhotra, U-19 World Cup winner Sandeep Sharma, Siddharth Trivedi and Paul Valthaty had been approached by the tournament organisers for the event that is scheduled to be held on October 27-28.
"I was approached to take part in the Hong Kong Sixes but I won't be going since the BCCI didn't give me permission," Sharma told The Indian Express . The other six players too have confirmed that the BCCI had given their Hong Kong Sixes aspirations the red-signal. BCCI's chief administrative officer Ratnakar Shetty too admitted that the board had decided to not allow any of its current players to take part in the HKS tournament.
"It's BCCI's decision not to allow players to participate in the HKS. And it is not the first time we have taken this call. As per the policy, no current Indian player can take part. Former cricketers though are free to participate as they don't come under the BCCI's jurisdiction post retirement," Shetty stated.
Shetty added that the Hong Kong Sixes didn't count as an international event in the view of the BCCI. This despite the tournament being supported by most of the other national cricket bodies. And unlike India, Australia will be sending a team captained by veteran Brad Hodge while the Pakistan team will be led by wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal, both of who represented their countries as recently as in the World T20 in Sri Lanka.
Though Dr John Cribbin, the Honorary Secretary of the Hong Kong Cricket Association, was made aware of the BCCI's decision, the names of the seven Indian cricketers has not been taken down from the squad lists of the tournament in its website.
- Cong appoints Harshad scam accused as chief of Mumbai Gujarati cell
- Militants kill PDP sarpanch in Valley
- VVIP chopper scam: CBI chief meets envoy in Italy
- In final run, Mavericks first hurdle for Spurs
- Injuries to Neymar, Alba add to Barcelona’s woes
- Rani Jhansi flyover: HC notices to civic body, Railways