PM, Sonia, Rahul to campaign in Meghalaya
- AAP-BJP clashes: FIR against Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi for rioting
- Nine-phase Lok Sabha polls begin on April 7, counting on May 16
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
- Congress bends, âopen to TRS allianceâ
- Mamata Banerjee releases candidates list for LS polls, lists out celebs and statistics
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party vice-president Rahul Gandhi will campaign in Meghalaya later this month for the February 23 Assembly elections in the state.
Meghalaya Pradesh Congress president D D Lapang said on Thursday that the Prime Minister would arrive on February 15 and address an election rally in the state capital.
Sonia Gandhi would arrive here on February 19 to address a public rally at Jowai in the East Jaintia Hills district and in Tura in West Garo Hills district, considered a stronghold of former Lok Sabha Speaker P A Sangma.
Rahul Gandhi would address a rally at Khliehriat in East Jaintia Hills district and Nongpoh in Ri-Bhoi district the following day, Lapang said.
Union Ministers P Chidambaram, A K Anthony and Sushilkumar Shinde would also campaign here besides a host of Congress MPs, a statement from Congress Bhavan said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi would campaign for two days in the Garo Hills beginning February 14.
Security has been strengthened in the areas to be visited by the VVIPs, police sources said.
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students
- Ecclestone rules out Indian GP in 2015
- Captain Vidic abandons sinking ship at Manchester United, to sign for Inter Milan