PMC: 2,876 illegal structures identified so far
The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) on Thursday said that it could locate 2,876 illegal structures in the city so far and cited reason of staff shortage and other issues for failure to intensify the drive against illegal construction.
"The work on identifying illegal construction was started in January and till now 2,876 illegal structures have been identified. The civic administration has acted against 1,560 structures so far," said Rajendra Raut, executive engineer, PMC. He said a total area of 13.13 lakh sq ft of construction was removed in the drive against illegal construction.
"If the expenditure of action against illegal construction is calculated at the rate of Rs 30 per sq ft then the civic body has so far spent Rs 4 crore and there has been no recovery," he said.
The PMC has also registered offence against 32 people for illegal construction and served notice to many.
Of the identified illegal constructions, the PMC administration has regularised 653 structures that can be regularised as per rules and guidelines of building construction. The civic body has been able to collect Rs 49.73 crore of fees from the buildings that were regularised.
On slowing down the drive against illegal construction, Raut said that the PMC has sought approval of 550 government staff as there is shortage of staff, machinery. The opposition from locals and the failure to get police protection for the drive has also affected the action initiated against illegal construction, he added.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi