Poachers electrocute tiger near Bandhavgarh reserve
A tiger was electrocuted by a trap laid by poachers outside the buffer zone of the Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh. The incident that came to light late Sunday when the carcass was found is the third in the state since June in which a tiger has been electrocuted and the second blamed on poachers.
Forest officials said they had arrested five alleged poachers from Dhorai village of Umaria district and are looking for two more persons suspected to be involved in the incident.
Sources said the animal might have been killed three days earlier and the poachers had enough time to completely skin the tiger before they were caught. "Those caught are claiming the trap was laid for pigs but we are not ruling out anything," said Shahdol circle CCF, Y Satyam.
Three weeks ago, a tiger was accidentally electrocuted in Katni near the reserve when it touched a high-tension power line. A tigress was electrocuted in June in Kathotia near Bhopal when poachers reportedly laid a trap for wild animals.