Poaching takes toll on Rhinoland
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
The involvement of armed groups came to light last year following the arrest of Lindok Rongpi of the Kuki National Liberation Front, a group based in Karbi Anglong district, which borders the national park. Rongpi later confessed before a magistrate that he had himself killed six rhinos in and around Kaziranga during 2012.
Last year, the government created the elite Assam Forest Protection Force, with automatic weapons such as self-loading rifles to match the firepower of the poachers. Also, over 200 additional guards were deployed in Kaziranga following a sudden spurt in poaching. Now the authorities plan to upgrade the four forest ranges comprising Kaziranga by placing them into four divisions, each to be headed by a divisional forest officer. "This way we will not only have better control over the situation, but have more manpower too," Hussain said.
The government recently also constituted a three-member committee headed by the principal secretary (forest & environment) to suggest measures against poaching. "Though we initially gave the committee a three-month deadline, yesterday we asked it to file its report as early as possible," the minister said.
Two weeks ago, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi announced he had requested the Centre to institute a CBI investigation into the increasing incidents of rhino poaching. Groups working on wildlife conservation are not impressed. "We have been hearing of such CBI probes for several years now," said Bibhab Kumar Talukdar of Aaranyak, chair of the IUCN-SSC Asian Rhino Specialist Group, and Asian rhino coordinator for the International Rhino Foundation.
2013 so far
January 11: Rhino carcass recovered from sandbar of Brahmaputra in Morigaon. It had strayed out of Orang National Park
January 11: Kaziranga rhino's carcass found in similar circumstances from sandbar in Sonitpur
January 14: Carcass found inside Manas National Park. Horn missing
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed