Polar freeze turns deadly, moves to US East and South after killing 21 people
- Balochistan: 30 dead after bomb explosion at civil hospital in Quetta
- Telangana: Gangster Nayeemuddin killed in police operation
- Prime Minister speaks out again: If you have to shoot, shoot me, but not my Dalit brothers
- GST bill in Lok Sabha today, PM Modi likely to speak
- Kashmir: Two BSF personnel, suspected militant killed in encounter
A deep freeze spread from the US Midwest to the East and South, setting record low temperatures from Boston to Birmingham, and leaving 21 people dead, authorities said.
The Midwest and the East experienced temperatures colder than much of Antarctica.
In a phenomenon that forecasters said is actually not all that unusual, all 50 states saw freezing temperatures at some point today. That included Hawaii, where it was -8 Celsius atop Mauna Kea, a dormant volcano.
The big chill started in the Midwest over the weekend, and by Tuesday, it covered about half of the country. In New York City, the high was expected to be -12 Celsius; in Boston, around -8 Celsius.
Across the South, records were shattered like icicles. Birmingham, Alabama, dipped to a low of -14 Celsius, breaking the record of -11.7 Celsius set in 1970.
Atlanta saw a record low of -14.5 Celsius. Nashville, Tennessee, got down to -16.7 Celsius, and Little Rock, Arkansas, fell to -13 Celsius. It was just -17 Celsius at Washington Dulles International airport, eclipsing the 1988 mark of -13 Celsius.
The deep freeze dragged on in the Midwest as well, with he thermometer reaching -24 Celsius overnight in the Chicago area and -25.5 Celsius in suburban St Louis.
More than 500 passengers were stranded overnight on three Chicago-bound trains that were stopped by blowing and drifting snow in Illinois. Food ran low, but the heat stayed on.
- The plight of Dalits in Gujarat cannot be attributed only to BJP rule
- More than a new building, Parliament needs an update of its procedures
- It is time the UN had a woman and a feminist as its secretary-general
- CM Mufti appropriates language of struggle, but BJP-PDP alliance erodes her legitimacy
- Revenge of the powerless voter
- Across the aisle: Good sense triumphs, danger lurks