Police ‘questioned’ 20-day-old baby in Naroda, said he was 20 yrs old
- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Shoaib Shaikh was lucky to have escaped the Naroda Patiya massacre in Ahmedabad. His brother and grandmother were killed and he and his mother had acid thrown on her and received burns. Somehow, however, she saved Shoaib and herself.
However, that's now why the boy finds himself in the recent Naroda Patiya judgment that convicted 32. As the special court judge, Jyotsna Yagnik, observed, he stood out because the police claimed to have recorded his statement in the case. On February 28, 2002, the day of the massacre, Shoaib was all of 20 days old.
The police listed him as a "20-year-old" witness.
Making a detailed note of this in her observations on the investigation by the local police — before the SIT took charge — the judge said: "...Shoaib admittedly was of 20 days in the year 2002 and obviously no statement could have been recorded of this infant child... Still, in the material collected by the investigating agency, there is even a statement of this 20 days' old child showing his age to be 20 years. This illustration shows the statements were also written in self-styled manner."
The judge added: "The statement... is not to be held as indicative of the fact that the witnesses are lying. It, on the contrary, indicates that the record kept by the police while recording the statements was not correct, dependable and that the entire work was taken very lightly...".
Shoaib's mother Raziyabanu Shaikh said she was surprised when she got summons for her and Shoaib to appear before the court as witnesses. "I informed the policeman that my son could not be a witness because on February 28, 2002, he was a baby. Ultimately, it was decided — after some officers came to ascertain Shoaib's age — that only I would depose before the court," she said at her home in Naroda Patiya.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express