Police arrest 2 thieves, seize Andhra copís stolen pistol
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuels fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- UP BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
The Crime branch has arrested two persons and seized a foreign made pistol that was stolen two years ago from an Andhra Pradesh police inspector while he was travelling. Police said the weapon is of a make used only by police and paramilitary forces.
Working on the tip-off from informants, a team led by inspector Satish Govekar arrested two persons Naeem Abdul Kareem Ansari (25) and Aftab Azeez Ansari (40), both residents of Wagholi. Police said both were part of a gang that used to rob bags from buses and trains.
"We had a tip-off that a person will be coming to Yerawada for the sale of a firearm on January 4. Initially, we suspected it would be a country-made pistol. After we arrested Naeem, we seized a Belgium made pistol of 9 millimeter bore. This is a prohibited barrel size and is used only by police or paramilitary forces," Govekar told Newsline.
Naeem's interrogation led police to Aftab. "Probe has revealed it is a service pistol that belonged to a senior inspector of the reserved force of Andhra Pradesh police. Surprisingly, it was stolen during one of his journeys to Hyderabad by the gang to which the two suspects belonged. A complaint was registered at Afzalganj police station in Hyderabad," said Govekar. After their arrest on January 4, the duo was remanded in police custody. On Thursday, their custody was extended.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress