Police draft chargesheet, teen accused kept out until bone test
- Manmohan Singh is India's "weakest PM": L K Advani
- 'Shahzada' and 'Matashree' are only concerned about being in power, says Modi; Sonia harps on secularism
- Modi has "deep flaws" in his character: Chidambaram
- Supreme Court commutes death penalty of Devinderpal Singh Bhullar to life term
- March 31 Campaign roundup: BJP to release party manifesto on April 3; Kejriwal's meeting with the LG a drama to mislead people, says Cong
The police have drafted a 1,000-page chargesheet on the gangrape-cum-murder of a 23-year-old woman who died early Saturday in a Singapore hospital after being assaulted on board a bus in south Delhi on December 16.
Police sources said the draft chargesheet has been sent to senior police officers for a final opinion. It names five of the six arrested — Ram Singh, Mukesh, Vinay, Pawan and Akshay Thakur — for the rape and murder of the woman.
The sixth accused is a juvenile who has not been included in the draft chargesheet. A supplementary chargesheet will be filed if results of an ostification test prove he is a major.
The chargesheet will be shown to a bench of the Delhi High Court before it is submitted at the Saket district court which will hear the case.
"The Delhi High Court has directed that any document which has to be filed in any court of law in this case must be brought before the High Court for perusal before it is filed in the court concerned," said Najmi Waziri, standing counsel of the Delhi government.
At least 30 witnesses figure in the draft chargesheet, among them police control room personnel, a woman sub-inspector of the Vasant Vihar police station, the D S Construction manager who alerted the police control room about the woman and her friend lying on the roadside.
Murari, a resident of Ravi Dass Colony in RK Puram who was with the accused before they drove out in the bus, has also been made a witness. Two doctors from Safdarjung hospital who attended to the woman on the night of the incident have also given their statements.
The key witness whose statement has been recorded is the male friend of the woman. He too was badly beaten and thrown out of the bus with her.
- Life is like T-20 match, will decide how to play last overs: Chidambaram
- Amrapali Group says cheques given to Dhoni were to build hospital
- Delhi BJP chief woos Muslims, distances himself from Malhotra's remark
- Only non-Congress alternative can counter BJP: Left
- Modi has “deep flaws” in his character, warns P Chidambaram
- Nigerian uprising kills 1,500 in 2014: Amnesty