Police fire at chain-snatcher after he stabbed another cop
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
Police fired two rounds at a person "in self-defence" when he stabbed a police inspector after he was caught for snatching a gold chain from a woman, police said today.
The accused Suresh, who was injured in his left leg, has been admitted to a private hospital after the incident last night, police said.
The incident occurred when Suresh along with his aide Mahesh came on a motorbike and snatched a gold chain weighing 10 grams from a woman and started to flee.
They were chased by the locals. In the melee, Mahesh fell from the bike while Suresh fled with the chain, the statement said.
On information from the public, a police team conducted a search for Suresh and found him hiding behind a bush.
"Suddenly the culprit punched a police personnel on the eye and stabbed an Inspector on his left arm with a knife. Acting in self-defence, the Inspector fired two rounds at Suresh, who was injured in the left leg," police said.
Suresh was involved in six other cases in the city, police said.